6/9/19

First engine start

Another long day. Started at home, trying to finish the paperwork for the inspection, realized that it would not be possible to be anywhere close to 100% ready. Decided to go to the hangar to get the aircraft ready for inspection.

I have some tasks to do like actually mounting the fire extinguisher, place some markings like "experimental". This will be done and shown via photos to the inspector. The physical inspection went well and we decided to finish up the paperwork part later in the week.

Then it was time to try and start the engine. The first attempts were not successful, we checked and could verify that the engine received fuel... put the battery on the charger and started to trouble shoot. I had a suspicion already while trying to start the engine but I decided to charge the battery first and verify.

I remembered thinking a lot about the mag switches, I fully understand the concept of preventing them to function by grounding them, somehow I anyhow managed to install them up side down! Very embarrassing.

After charging the AC battery it was time for the next try, my GoPro had very little power left, Lars main task was to be ready with the fire extinguisher also filmed with his mobile, this was great as very little of the successful start was recorded by the GoPro.

I did not get any EGT reading and soon also lost CHT so the run was kept very short, ended with a slow lead to check rpm rise, result almost exactly 100 rpm.

Drove home with a great smile on my face during the entire 1:30 trip (some traffic on a Sunday evening)
   

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic! Congratulations on a big milestone! And it's so amazing to see how "fast" it went from some big parts to a more or less complete aircraft after it was transported to the hangar. Pretty expected I assume, but still amazing - especially considering I have followed this project since it was official.

    ReplyDelete