5/7/20

Autopilot installation, wiring almost done

Sorry for the lack of updates.

Not only have me and my family moved to a new house this spring, I have also been more busy at work due to covid-19. And as if that was not enough to shift my focus away from the RV, I have started a new demanding position at another company this monday.

This evening I finally found time to continue my autopilot installation. At first it was a complete mess, the roll servo did not even show up on the configuration screen and the rest of the system showed huge amounts of canbus network error:
It stayed like this for weeks, I did some improvements in my wiring, installed a shielding ground but nothing helped.

I began suspecting that it was a canbus termination problem as the instructions from Vans did not clearly indicate that the servo harness was designed so that pin 3&4 on the servos were connected (this makes the servos use the built in 120ohm canbus terminators)

After posting on the Vansairforce forum this afternoon, I quickly got some trouble shooting assistance and this evening I went to the hangar to check.

I could quickly determine that the canbus termination was as specified. I then disconnected the roll servo as that LRU showed the biggest problem (not showing up at all)
With the roll servo disconnected, the bus was fine again. I went back to my documentation and after reading the relevant documentation several times and scratching my head, I finally found my error. Due to this mistake in my documentation, I had switched the can-hi and can-low wires.

After redoing this part of the wiring harness, I was presented with this pleasing screen:
 Time to put everything together, set some values in the configuration and go out testing...perhaps on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment