8/27/19

Flight 9, first leaning and another first

Radio problem persists but that´s for another post.

Yesterday I decided that the engine is probably broken in enough for me to be able to test some leaning. It works great, I can lean way past peak and continue until the engine has lost significant power without any vibrations.

On this first test I set up for 2305 RPM and set Manifold pressure for 65%. I then leaned until all cylinders are past peak and found a good spot at 30-90 degrees LOP. What I saw during the flight and have now verified after looking at the logs are:

146 kt IAS
158 kt TAS
8.0 GPH (30.24 liters per hour)
2305 RPM
24.6 MAP
57.5% power according to G3X
5200 Density altitude
OAT 14.15 C (57.47 F)

Please note that my airspeed indicator has not been verified reading correct yet but it is probably close.

The next was a life time first for me, I decided to run a tank dry. Partly because I wanted to experience it and partly because I wanted to empty the tank for a re-calibration of the fuel sensor.

I had read about what to expect and actually caught the slight drop in fuel pressure before the RPM started fluctuating. The pressure dropped from 27 to 16 under a 10 second period before the engine started to react.

For safety, I circled above a long runway at 4000 AGL just in case...



No comments:

Post a Comment